Tuesday 6 November 2012

Four More Years


Four years ago I was barely a fresher, and should have been concerned with going out, getting hammered, and whatever it is freshers actually do. And yet four years ago tomorrow, I dragged myself out of bed at 06:55. I was desperate to hear the news. Went for the radio (those of you who remember my old laptop will understand why it wasn't really an option...). And then heard these magic words:

"US Senator Barack Obama has opened up a large lead over Republican opponent John McCain in...

To be brutally honest, I didn't listen to the rest of the report. I'd heard enough. The Democrats were back in the White House, and the first election I'd followed properly had been won by a candidate who seemed to epitomise cool. Especially when compared to the man who was then in the Oval Office:



It now seems that winning was the easy bit for the junior Senator from Illinois. And this time round, even victory is in doubt. So I'm going to stay up and watch it, just to be on the safe side. I hope that, in November 2016, I can sit down and write a piece saying how Obama succeeded. Here's to Hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment