Tuesday 3 September 2019

The Wit and Wisdom of... Thomas More

I follow my conscience; you must follow yours.

My conscience satisfies me, and now I will speak plainly, that your statute is faulty and that your authority baseless.

My conscience holds with the majority, which makes me know it does not speak false. 

Against Henry’s kingdom, I have all the kingdoms of Christendom. Against each one of your bishops, I have a hundred saints. Against your one Parliament, I have all the General Councils of the Church, stretching back for a thousand years.
Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=wolf-hall-2015&episode=s01e04

Sir Thomas More, speaking before he was sentenced to death for refusing to take the Oath of Supremacy and acknowledge Henry VIII as Supreme Head of the Church, as imagined by Hilary Mantel in Wolf Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment