Thursday 7 November 2013

Meeting Nick Clegg

On Tuesday I ran a college trip to Lancaster House, where the Deputy Prime Minister's Office and lots of employers were running an event called Opening Doors, to persuade those still in school that it's not who they know but what they know which will help them succeed in the future.

Needless to say, I had a *field-day*...

1. The woman from Random House publishers may have missed the point of the day when she said to me 'Well, you do seem like the type of person we'd like to have come and work for us... Are you interested?'

2. Thankfully I bit down my response of 'Really, then why didn't you employ me when I applied for a job last year?'

3. I was mistaken for a student more times than I can count.

4. 'Don't bother with going to university, come straight into our apprenticeship scheme!' Thanks, Lloyds, but I've already done four years at university, so thanks for belittling that...

5. Also, I'm not sure taking long term advice from a bank which is mostly owned by the taxpayer, thanks to its lack of long term thinking.

6. Finally, I've never been more proud of the students at my college as I was at the Q&A with Nick Clegg; one of mine got the last question:

So, if you think it's still important we go to university if we want to and can get the grades... why did you go and break your promise on tuition fees?

Apparently the face of every adult in the room froze. Apart from one. I was apparently beaming from ear to ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment